Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Wow Factor

Wow. I have my first deadline.

Up until now I've written on a loose schedule, never having a reason to write other than the urge that drives me to create. Sporadic, maybe, but I managed to complete 5 manuscripts, get a good start on 2 others and write a few short stories. I lived through the drawer full (and I do mean full) of rejection slips and make it through the typical writer's lack of confidence. After the usual process of submitting my manuscripts and waiting for another rejection (or not), I've had 4 of my manuscripts published.

Well, Crescent Moon Press, publisher of my book, A Witch's Lament, loved the book so much they contracted me to write the sequel. I was expecting to write the book and submit for acceptance, but they sent me a contract to sign. How cool! They trust in me and my writing enough to give me a contract on a book that hasn't been written yet. Wow. I'm thrilled.

Now, I have no choice. If I want to finish the manuscript in time, I have to write every day and I have to say, I'm kind of enjoying the pressure. I love to write but have a terrible habit of procrastinating...the goats can be a very tempting time waster. Especially in the nice weather.

Writing every day makes it easier to keep in the mood and up to date on what's going on in the story, so I think it makes for a more even flow.

Anyway, gotta go...I've got a book to write. :-)

2 comments:

Michele Silva-Neto said...

Hi Cathy,

I used to take Tai Chi with you and my husband, Joe, did karate. I have just read the 3rd or 4th article about your writing - CONGRATULATIONS!!!. I am so excited for you! I am going to buy your books, maybe in Fenelon this weekend. You are so inspiring. I love to hear about people's successes - it really makes me work harder to accomplish my dreams.
Take care, Michele Silva-Neto

merlinsmuse said...

Hi, Michele. Great to hear from you, and yes, both Fred and I remember you guys. It would be nice to see you this weekend. I'm doing a booksigning at Bob Burns bookstore in Fenelon on Saturday from 10-2. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous and it's a long weekend, so it should be a busy day. Hope you and Joe are doing well. Maybe I'll see you Saturday.

Cathy