Sunday, October 23, 2005

How to stay motivated?

Yes, amidst the constant stream of rejections that would be enough to cause most people to give up, I have a way to stay motivated. To give you an example:

I woke up this morning and checked my e-mail, which is usually the first thing I do every day, and I found an e-mail from someone who'd just finished reading my book, Sword Across Time. He told me how much he enjoyed it, that it was the perfect blend of adventure and romance, and he had goosebumps reading the final battle that takes place between Morganna and the other characters.

A great way to start the day, but I'm not finished yet.


Later in the day, I returned a movie my husband and I watched last night and rented another (Unleashed-last night's movie/The Interpreter-tonight's movie) and the woman who works there came over to talk with me. She bought my book a year ago and has never said a word to me about it. I figured she hadn't enjoyed it and I didn't want to bring the subject up and put her on the spot, so I said nothing. Well, it seems that she only just got around to reading the book, and, guess what, she enjoyed it immensely and has passed it on to her father who she says will love reading it.

So, what do I spend the day doing? Writing, of course. Now that I'm so pumped from praise, I'm even more determined to finish my manuscript (my fifth) and finally get an agent to take a chance on me.

The moral is that if you are a reader and you love a book by an author--Tell them! It has made all the difference to me on my uphill battle to make it in a tough business. I've been fortunate enough to have one book published, albeit with a small, independent publisher, but I'm not finished yet. No way. I'm going all the way.

Good luck to all you aspiring authors. Have a great day.
Cathy

No comments: